Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What, exactly, do you mean by that?

"Ethnically-confused, ghetto-dwelling white girl who knits too much"

While it's pretty self-explanatory to me, it may not be to someone who doesn't know me well. Let's break it down. "Ethnically-confused". That means that I think I'm Mexican. I really do. I'm as white as they come really, but when I was about a year old and my mother divorced her first husband (my real father) and had to rejoin the work-force. In doing that I was placed in a daycare where the provider only spoke Spanish, therefore Spanish was really my first language. Luckily my mom studied Spanish in college and was able to communicate with me. I really didn't start speaking English until I entered Kindergarten. Then my mom proceeds to marry a Mexican man (husband #2, who I call father) and a year later we move from Newport Beach, CA to Tijuana. Talk about culture shock. At least for my mother. I was a happy camper. I was finally home. I completed all my elementary school in Tijuana, speaking only Spanish, and lived in Tijuana until the age of 15. As you can see, I'm a little ethnically-confused.

"Ghetto-dwelling". Well, that just means I live in the ghetto. It's the closest thing I have to Tijuana living here. I need to have a 7-11 and a Mexican market very close by. I also like to have a Mexican bakery in the area, and I currently have two walking distance from my home. Bliss. I also need easily accessible 99 cent stores. And fast food restaurants. And taco shops. I would never, ever survive in the burbs.

"White girl". Yeah, I'm white. Scary white. My teen daughter somtimes looks at me, and says (in a kinda nasty way if you ask me) "You are so white".

"Who knits too much". I knit too much.

No comments: